Hanging out with artists can keep you real BaltimoreBusy. (l-r: Leslie King-Hammond, Graduate Dean Emeritus and Founding Director of the Center for Race and Culture, Maryland Institute College of Art; Joyce J. Scott, internationally renowned visual and performing artist; Oletha DeVane, mixed-media artist and head of visual arts, Upper School - McDonogh School; me)

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A few of the faces at "The Art of Mosaic" opening...


The opening for "The Art of Mosaic" attracted some folks who I had not seen for years. Janet Johnson, a friend since the early 1990s when I was most active in the BMA's Joshua Johnson Council, was one of the first people that I encountered amongst the throng gathered to support and enjoy the art, camaraderie and refreshments. The good news is that when you run into old friends after long periods of time, it's as if you just saw each other a day or two before.

That's the way things work in Baltimore. At least, that's the way they always seem to work for me.


When I saw Sharon Bunch there, I was reminded that we should not put things off. For years, she and I planned to get our two big, black dogs, Presley and Oji, together. Alas, it was not to be. Presley, Sharon's beloved Bouvier des Flandres, passed away last year before meeting my Newfoundland, Oji.

It was equally great to see Carla Wills back in Baltimore co-producing the Michael Eric Dyson Show for Public Radio WEAA-FM. As I recall, Carla introduced me to Sharon, years ago.


Martina Callum M.D., a proud East Baltimore native who returned to her hometown a few years ago and is an avid art collector, was happy to share the opening reception at her alma mater (MSU) with neighbor and Penn Lucy Neighborhood Association President Angel Entner. A woman who knows what she likes, the good doctor added two new pieces to her collection before leaving the gathering.


Carrie Powell, another appreciator of the arts, was there to support her friends, Charles and Elizabeth Hawkins, the artists.

When the reception ended, everyone agreed that it had been a tremendous success, and a good time was had by all.


Ask the Bassman...

Cheers,
Jannette

No comments:

Post a Comment